Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An excuse and Matilda

Firstly, I would like to say that I am sorry for not posting in such a long time. Life got carried away. But I do have news, we have recently been gifted with the birth of our new baby girl, Livia Rea! She is perfect! This of course means more readings of Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton, which I have no problem with! And since I am breastfeeding, which involves just sitting there for up to an hour at a time, I am getting more of my own books read. Which is why I am able to update the blog today! So let's get started.

"It is bad enough when parents treat oridnary children as thought they were scabs and bunions, but it becomes somehow a lot worse when the child in question is extra-ordinary, and by that I mean sensitive and brilliant. Matilda was both of these things, but above all she was brilliant." -Matilda (p10)


This book was a gift to me and my son from his "Aunt" Abby who loved it as well, and I am so glad that we got the chance to read it together. It took us a little while to finish since we only read a chapter a night and there were some nights when no reading was done. However, if we had stuck with it like we should have we would have gotten through it a lot quicker.

Let me say that my son greatly enjoyed this book. At 5 there were some phrases or words that he may not have understood, but that didn't stop him from enjoying the story. He loved the characters, even the evil Ms. Trunchbull who made it easy to dislike the villian of the tale was a hit with him. The illustrations may have helped a little on restless nights, but most times he would simply close his eyes or turn his head and listen to the story. After all, the Matilda in the book is also a 5 yr old; a brilliant, gifted, stubborn 5 yr old that my son can relate to very well.

In case you don't know the story of Matilda, let me help you out. She is a little girl with a brilliant mind and horrid parents. When Mr. Wormwood, Matilda's father, finally allows her to go to school her mind is filled with storybook images of children playing at recess, teachers who encourage greatness, and all the attractiveness of a safehaven away from her disasterous home life. The poor thing is sorely mistaken. Instead she is met by the Trunchbull, the principal of the school bent on making every child regret being young and small.
Matilda is frightened by the Trunchbull, as she should be after watching fellow classmates be tortured for no other reason than being kids. The Trunchbull even frightens Matilda mild-mannered teacher, Ms. Honey, who on the first day realizes she has a child protegy on her hands with Matilda. The two grow close, Matilda learns Ms. Honey's history, and using all her ability Matilda helps herself and Ms. Honey toward a life of something better.

The characters are perfect, the writing, while a little more advanced, is excellent, the story flows well, and it is just overall an incredible book. We loved it greatly! Jareth is even talking about when we will get a chance to read it again! If you have children I recommend you pick up a copy. If you don't, well pick up a copy anyway, you can entertain your inner child with this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment