Friday, May 17, 2013

Hard Times

 

Hard Times is known for being the shortest of Dickens's novels, perhaps the darkest as well. I have to admit that while I have only recenty discovered his works and come to enjoy them, this was not really one of them. When giving a review over on Goodreads I left only 3 stars and no real review. This novel was extremely depressing, as Dickens lost faith in humanity he made sure that his readers saw the darkest side of what he saw. While his writing is still incredible (the reason there were 3 instead of 2 stars) the story that he writes about was less interesting.

I encourage anyone who thinks they can make it through such a dark novel, to give this one a chance. But I must stipulate that I believe this is not for everyone. That being said, I will continue to read Dickens. Next one I plan on reading is The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

No comments:

Post a Comment