Saturday, January 16, 2016

Forever Odd


I don't know why I thought that the solution to sinking into a depression after the news of David Bowie and Alan Rickman would be starting a book in which the main character is dealing with the overwhelming loss of someone so close to him, but I am sure glad I stuck through to the end of the novel.

Forever Odd begins not long after the events of the first book. Odd is dealing with the loss of Stormy when all too soon someone else close to him is thrown into the storm that often accompanies his supernatural gifts. This time, it's his best friend Danny and he is already in the thick of trouble as Odd uses his gift to find and help his friend.

I don't know what it was about this book that made me like the series more than the first although I think I have it narrowed down to two points. 1) I didn't have a movie to spoil anything in this book. I was all new and I was along for the ride without being shown every detail before starting. OR 2) Due to his grief, Odd is a bit more serious in this book. He still has a wit and sense of humor that nad me randomly shouting out a laugh amidst the tension, but there was just a little more worry, a little more directness to his thoughts. He was trying to hold onto his levity but couldn't help the more frequent lapses into stern territory.

I think the book helped a little too for me to deal with the grief I had under estimated due to the loss of two men I had looked up to and loved from a distance. As Odd pushed his way through his own sorrow to help his friend, I rode along and took from his determination my own sort of strength. I still feel a little heavy and am looking forward to soon getting the next book to further distract me, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. Once more books have kept me moving, given me a safe place to distract my soul, and this time I have Dean Koontz to thank.

So, be looking for my review of the next book in this series, because it will no doubt be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment