Friday, February 17, 2017

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

February - Books with Mr. or Mrs. in the title

To fulfill this month's book club theme, I literally did the broadest search in my local library's database, simply typing in the word "Mr." in the title search. My plan was to find a few books, read their synopsis, and then yes, pick 1 by its cover. Then do the same with "Mrs." However, I found 2 with "Mr." that have interested me and I think I will stay with those.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore turned out to be a random good pick. Imagine a secret society for bibliophiles, because that is what the book's narrator, Clay Jannon, unintentionally falls into while bored at his new job as book store clerk for the eccentric Mr. Penumbra. When Clay decides to while away the hours by using computer code to plot costumers' book histories, he discovers the puzzle filled world of the Unbroken Spine. Not only is his life changed, but he turns the secret society upside down with the events that follow.

Here is another book done in first person. Is this the new big thing? I have to say, the point of view was neither here nor there for me this time. While I was mostly okay with Clay's voice, there were a few other times I thought things being said were mere thoughts but were answered by the other characters. Ok, so dialogue then. No quotation marks? Mildly annoying. Usually, though, Clay's thoughts were humorous and entertaining.

Overall, the story was interesting. I liked the idea of this secret society just for people who tend to look too deeply into books. And the secret to immortality, yeah, that was something to make me smile. Oh, and the very wide range of people involved! The way things turned a little sideways. These things made the book more enjoyable.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this one. It was unique and fun! Has anyone else picked up this little gem? If so, I would love to know what you thought as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment