Monday, April 11, 2016

The Carpet People

April - Books with RED covers.


This was actually the only book I had to fill this month's theme and now I am really glad it was. I love Terry Pratchett, his Discworld novels were this perfect fantasy counterpart to Douglas Adams, whom I had discovered at a young age. But while I love getting my hands on his books, I had only intended to hand this one to my kids for them to read when they were ready. After all, this book started out as a series of serials in a newspaper's Children's Circle column. Terry was then inspired to write a book based off the little civilization he had dreamed up in the world of a Carpet, and this is the product.

The Carpet People is exactly what it sounds like. It is a story that follows mainly a man named Snibril as his people leave their home for somewhere better once the destructive, and highly mysterious, Fray destroys everything. What follows is a tale of chaos, adventure, creatures, curiosity, battle, and heroics. Snibril is just one among a cast of highly entertaining people, among which are his brother Glurk, an ex-soldier Bane, a philosopher Pismire, and a King Brocando. The reader joins them as they cross the Carpet trying to find a safe place or the center of their troubles, depending on how you look at it.

This story was meant for young adults, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were great. The story complex. And the storytelling very entertaining! If you like Pratchett you have to give this one a try, especially if you have the chance to read it to your child. As the back blurb says, it is "An epic saga of miniature proportions."

No comments:

Post a Comment