Thursday, March 8, 2012

Darcy's Story

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun." -Mr. Darcy, (p. 255)

While I always enjoy finding new views of Pride and Prejudice, and I liked getting the chance to revisit favorite characters, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. The writing style did not flow nearly as well, causing me a bot of difficulty in believeing that this was truely Darcy's side of the story. It also seemed at times to be extremely repetitive with the author restating not only large chuncks of narrative but also whole conversations through Dracy as he remembers events that have already been told.

I can't be sure, but I had a sense of there being extra scenes placed in this book as well, such as more parties in which Darcy and Lizzy are given the chance to see one another. I am also sure that conversations were mixed around and inconsistant with the original, which I had a hard time getting through.

I know it seems that I have nothing but bad things to say about this book, but there were parts that I enjoyed being given the chance to read. Therefore I recommend anyone loving a chance to dig deeper into the story of Lizzy and Darcy give this book a chance. You might find it far better than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment