Thursday, January 12, 2012

Heath: A Family's Tale

" 'People always feel compelled to sum you up, to presume that they have you and can describe you. That's fine. But there are many stories inside of me, and a lot I want to achieve outside one flat note.' " -Heath Ledger, Heath: A Family's Tale (pg. 254)

To begin, I will admit I was in-love with Heath Ledger. Not simply because he was a stud, but because he seemed very down-to-Earth, simple, nice, and all the qualities I would look for in a friend. The speculations that surrounded his death worried me and had me thinking that I had missjudged the man I had never met. This book showed that yes, I would have loved the chance to meet this amazing man.

Heath Ledger was a shy and private man, and somehow the author of this biography managed to tell details about his life without making me feel as though I had gone rifling through his trash to invade his privacy and get the dirt. Yes, you find out a lot about his family history, his youth, as well as everything that happened once he entered the Hollywood scene. But much of the man still remains a mystery.

The author also did a great job of piecing together the web of people Heath met and loved. It sometimes seemed like we were stepping back in time to mention a particular moment when he met someone, instead of mentioning it with other people of that time, but as the story progresses I realized it was necessary. Not everyone in his life was connected to one another, and the people he met might not have had an impact on him until later. His life was like a puzzle of people.

Anyway, I loved finding out how incredible this man was, through family, friends, and even sometimes the media who had a harsh spotlight on him at times. The author did a good job of revealing the mysterious Ledger through those that knew him best. I would recommend this book to anyone who liked Heath Ledger as he lived. It's a good story about a great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment